How Many Different Types of Websites Are There?
By our definitions, six different types of websites exist. These are broad categories ranging from very basic websites to those that are custom designed for specific business applications.
- Static (Non-Editable) Brochure - A brochure website is often just an online extension of your sales collateral noting the who, what and where of your business. Most small businesses start out with a basic website that expands as their online marketing and customer interface requirements grow.
- Editable Brochure - This type of website is built on a basic content management system (CMS) that allows for minimal changes to be made to the website’s content, normally just text and images.
- Dynamic - Dynamic websites implement a CMS with greater functionality, so more advanced features like photo galleries and editable contact forms can be implemented. These sites can handle increased user engagement such as visitors logging in and downloading information.
- E-Commerce - These websites allow for the buying and selling of products online. They are integrated with a payment system like Paypal, Amazon, or a bank. E-commerce websites require ongoing data management and knowledge of online security protocols.
- Custom - Some businesses need websites that can interact with their customers using complex databases, online interfaces, and other specific applications. For these websites, custom coding must be created which requires more programming sophistication and knowledge.
- Mobile - The use of mobile devices is now everywhere. Any type of website you create needs to be mobile-friendly. This might entail creating a separate site designed for mobile devices only. Mobile sites are designed to adjust image sizes, format content blocks, and minimize bandwidth requirements so pages can be displayed efficiently.
Which Type of Website is Right for My Business
As you might expect, the type of website and what you will need to spend depends on what you want to accomplish.
Is the website only for informational purposes? Will your customers engage with your business on the website? Will the website need to interface with third-party applications? Do I expect my application needs to change over time?
Once you’ve outlined how the website will support your business model, you’ll be better able to answer these questions.
Abstract Technology Can Help Assess Your Website Needs
Abstract Technology offers a free consultation to assess your website requirements. Once these are determined, Abstract will work with you to create a website that meets your needs.
Abstract Technology specializes in custom CMS design with easy backend edits for our clients. Our websites also include:
- Built-in SEO tools
- Mobile-responsive designs
- Training with all website design packages
- On-site developer
- Website hosting with redundant backups
- 24/7 support
- IT and website support from a common source